Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Al Leiter Autograph - Yankees vs Astros spring training - March 2005

Autograph: Al Leiter
Date: March 20, 2005
Location: Legends Field, Tampa, FL
Event: Yankees Spring Training Game vs Houston Astros.

Legends Field (now Steinbrenner Field) is one of the least fan friendly spring training fields I've been to in terms of access to the players. In the game itself, there is almost no spots to 'gather' in hopes of getting autographs. Outside the stadium you can get close to the practice field but there are 12' fences all the way around the practice fields. There are two spots in the fence where they cut open about 6' wide an 1' high of fence, just enough to stick your arm though. That, to me, seemed like the only spot to get an autograph. When players went between fields they were completely protected. There were no paths to catch players walking in and out anywhere.

Anyway, Al Leiter was one of the few Yankees fans that cared to take time to sign autographs. I managed to get my arm in there and he signed my ball. Most of the Yankee players refused to even acknowledger the crowd of fans watching. I've been to Yankee games in the Bronx as well and it seem to me the Yankees are the least fan accessible of all the teams I have seen. It is like they are protecting the president.


No comments:

Post a Comment